What ist the problem with Just Cause 3 modding?

Just Cause 3 Mods Forums General Chat What ist the problem with Just Cause 3 modding?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    CapAmmogeddon
    Participant

I don´t want to sound salty, I actually would like to know this;

Why is it so hard to mod Just Cause 3. Full Disclosure: I myself am NOT a modder, and I may not know what I am talking about. But if you compare Just Cause 3 mods with e.g. GTA V, I wonder why it seems so much harder to mod JC3. I mean, there are Ironman-mods, Hulk-mods, even a Quantum Break Mod for GTA. Sure, in JC3 we have a great Police mod, with “handmade” Car and Soldier textures, and there is a Monstertruck with wings, but other than that, almost all mods are just weapons mashed together for maximum “exploditarity”.

For Example, the Hulk mod in GTA V uses Objekt (e.g. Tables) that are glued to the charakter and then retextures them. Is that not possible in JC3?

Complex Mods GTA V rolled out during the first 6 months of release, and we do not even have an object dropper for Just Cause?!

It just seems to be much harder to mod JC3 than other games, and it takes longer to get complex mods. In the last few months, the activity regarding mods in JC3 has decreased immensly, which makes me very sad 🙁

I guess what I am trying to ask is: Can someone explain what the problem with JC3 and its engine is that makes it so hard to mod? I really am interested in this topic.

pryatat
    Participant

That’s because the Denuvo DRM hard-coded Just Cause 3’s engine is so hard to get past with anything. It’s supposed to function as an anti-pirating device (which I fully support,) but it’s so aggressive that almost any sort of changes made to Just Cause 3’s files are counted as an illegal action. The only real and intended way to mod the game is through the Dropzone folder. When the game launches, the engine checks that first – and if there’s anything in it with a name that matches a default file, the game will temporarily overwrite the default file until the game is closed. Sure, it works, but it’s so restrictive that it only allows values to be changed. We can edit how many clouds appear in a thunderstorm, how many percent speed increase boost gives, how many seconds a Bavarium shield lasts for, etc. – but the game will not read custom and/or unpacked files whatsoever. The only way to add more to the game is to replace old entities with new ones.

I honestly didn’t know at first why Avalanche, a company that tends to leave things up to the community of modders, restricted everyone so much and provided zero tools. Further decrypting and decompressing however reveals that the game engine is a hacked-together version of Mad Max’s engine, with pieces of vehicle models and AI scripts for War Buggies still existing in the code.

ProtatoProtato
    Keymaster

Just wanted to butt in here and say I’m trying to added “custom” DLC to the game, but I have not been able to make it work (Although I have not tried all that hard).

Theoretically, if you could trick the game by making it think there was DLC, you could insert your own code.

However, I am unsure if the Denuvo checks for valid DLC on some server or not.

pryatat
    Participant

Sounds very good. I think that I did read about some pirate on another site that downloaded Sea Heist illegally while actually owning the main game though, and they were wondering why the game wasn’t working when they logged. Sure, they may have installed something entirely wrong given how they obtain properties, but I’d still assume Avalanche would take the same kind of action on their DLCs as they did the main game.

Can’t find that thread now though, it may have been deleted since it contained an illegal download link.

ProtatoProtato
    Keymaster

I might try this, take my entire computer offline and check if DLC obtained “unofficially” works or not

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.