Simple Mod Installer

Just Cause 3 Mods Forums Mod Creation Simple Mod Installer

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Joseph Walden
    Participant

***Needs Neams Sky Fortress Packer In Just Cause 3 Directory In The Format “C:\Program Files (86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Just Cause 3\sky-fortress-packer” ***

I have created a simple mod installer & uninstaller (it can be uninstalled using the installer), at the moment it only work’s for Sky Fortress mods but I will implement dropzone mods soon. It uses a simple xml file to install and uninstall the mods (this file would be created by the modder using my template)

Xml Template –

<?xml version=”1.0″ encoding=”utf-8″?>
    <!–Generated By Aeros’ Mod Installer–>
    <mod
    id=”Better Wingsuit”
    modder=”Aeros”
    ver=”0.1A”
    dir=”aeros_wingsuit” />

When you open the installer, it gives you three options. Install, Uninstall & Generate Template (for dev’s). The file would be packaged with the mod(its only 12kb so it impact the size much) When you click Install, it copys the mod folder to the Sky Fortress Packer and packs the game (the mod folder is designated by dir in the xml file), when you uninstall. It removes the mod from the Sky Fortress Packer (other mods are untouched) and repacks the game without the mod. When you click Generate Template it creates an xml file containing all necessary attributes for my installer. It is only in an early stage so I will change the layout (atm its very simple :D)

It makes the process of installing mods extremely quick and allows you to uninstall the mod just as quick 🙂

Screenshot below 🙂

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    1 user thanked author for this post.
    neamneam
    Participant

why not generating the file on the fly ? you probably know that the modders tends to be lazy (I am). If your manager can generate the XML file for the modder, why can’t it generates the exact same file from the archive you downloaded ? (like extract the archive in a temporary directory, generate all the stuff, move the temporary directory contents in dropzone).

Bonus point: that would make the manager compatible with every mod 😉

By the way, you can find the installation of JC3 this way (using something to interact for the register database, that you may found in the language you use):

hive: LocalMachine, subkey:"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Steam App 225540" value:"InstallLocation"

Joseph Walden
    Participant

It can’t generate the xml file for the modder, it just generates the template (which in this case, is the same as the xml file for my mod). The xml file is used to determine which folder to copy to the sky_fortress_dropzone\__UNKNOWN folder, and more importantly which folder to delete during uninstall. All the dev has to do is edit the template the program creates for their own mod. It would only take about 30 seconds as there are only 3 values (version is currently unused but I am working on an update notification system) for instance, In your bavarium splitter mod, you would change it as such

<?xml version=”1.0″ encoding=”utf-8″?>
    <!–Generated By Aeros’ Mod Installer–>
    <mod
    id=”Ultimate Bavarium Splitter”
    modder=”neam”
    ver=”6”
    dir=”molten_bavarium_thing” />

Ty for the registry key 🙂

Joseph Walden
    Participant

Btw, It also now supports dropzone mods 🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.