How to use ConvertTexture

Just Cause 3 Mods Forums Tutorials How to use ConvertTexture

This topic contains 11 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by the8bitrobin the8bitrobin 7 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

neam
    Participant

How to use ConvertTexture.

Hopefully for us all, as avalanche uses a quite… non standard format, and that format has its header information is scattered everywhere and that I am a lazy programmer, there will be some more difficulties for certain image type. But I have the honour to announce that we now handle (almost) all images and 2D textures JC3 can have.

the easy way

If your image is a ddsc file and that file weight more than 100ko, you can go the easy way:

[AFile.ddsc] -> ConvertTexture -> [AFile.xml + AFile[0-9].dds]

Open the .dds file with whatever you want (paint.net, gimp (via the dds plugin) or photoshop (with the nvidia texture tools). Save it (pay attention to the size of the generated file. It should be roughly the same. If the same is not the same, try enabling/disabling mipmaps, try saving in DXT1, DXT3 or DXT5, with or without mipmaps).

[AFile.xml] -> ConverTexture -> [AFile.ddsc]

TIP: If you have an alpha channel in the image (and that the image have semi-transparent pixels), the format will very probably be DXT3 (and sometime DXT5). For every other cases, it’s DXT1.

the a-small-bit-less-easy way

Your image is less than 100ko. Search for a hmddsc file that have exactly the same name, once you’ve found it, copy both the ddsc and the hmddsc file somewhere.

If you only have a hmddsc, try to find a .bl or .ee archive with a name that can match, extract it and search for the ddsc file in it.

They must be in the same folder for now. Then:

[AFile.ddsc] -> ConvertTexture -> [AFile.xml + AFile[0-9].dds]

Edit the dds file with your favorite image editing program that handle dds. Save it, but enable the mipmap thing. Once you’ve saved it, do:

[AFile.xml] -> ConverTexture -> [AFile.ddsc + AFile.hmddsc]

Copy the hmddsc file in your dropzone folder (as it would be for any other file). The ddsc contains the texture of the object when it is seen from “far”, try to replace any ddsc file with the exact same name. (that may very probably be in .ee/.bl archives…), but if you don’t care, simply discard it.

the I-got-too-many-images-to-handle-at-once way

Okay, now if you have something like 15 ddsc/ddsc+hmddsc file to convert or 15 xml file to convert, here is the process

[File1.ddsc, ..., File51.ddsc] -> Batch -> [File1.xml + File1.dds, ..., File51.xml + File51.dds]

and

[File1.xml, ..., File51.xml] -> Batch -> [File1.ddsc, ..., File51.ddsc]

Batch can work with any .xml and any file (like .ee archives, adf files, …)

• This topic was modified 11 months, 3 weeks ago by Zenin Zenin.
    • This topic was modified 11 months, 3 weeks ago by  neam.
    • This topic was modified 11 months, 3 weeks ago by  neam.
    2 users thanked author for this post.

drdiravello
    Participant

Great work! I guess this means I can start working on new icons for my rebel drop mod!

neam
    Participant

That would be awesome !! 😀

drdiravello
    Participant

On second thought, I don’t think I’m going to make icons. I tried it, but it looked horrible :(. If you would feel like doing it, check out this link: Full rebel drop after patch new icons ,

Otherwise, I guess I’ll just wait until I can change the names.

Zenin
    Zenin
    Keymaster

hey Neam do you know what file rico’s clothes/skin are in?

neam
    Participant

Just found them, but sad new, it has a weird format 🙁

Good news, it will probably be easy enough to make an update today, but, hum, the ConvertTexture will be a little more complex to use. I will update the tutorial when that will be done. (to find your files, extract game2 and search for “rico ddsc” and “rico hmddsc”, they are the _diff ones).

Zenin
    Zenin
    Keymaster

Just found them, but sad new, it has a weird format :( Good news, it will probably be easy enough to make an update today, but, hum, the ConvertTexture will be a little more complex to use. I will update the tutorial when that will be done. (to find your files, extract game2 and search for “rico ddsc” and “rico hmddsc”, they are the _diff ones).

Awesome thanks! I’ll be updating the tutorial pages soon too.

neam
    Participant

Protato is doing some videos, you should put them on the tutorial page too

neam
    Participant

teaser

20160408202234_1-1

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Semyon
    Participant

When I converting .ddsc file, the program doesn’t creating .xml file, only .dds

the8bitrobin
    the8bitrobin
    Participant

where is the convert texture .exe it’s not in my folder

the8bitrobin
    the8bitrobin
    Participant

the convert texture tool is not in the folder please help me find where it is. i have made re textures for, miencraft, scrap mechanic, garry’s mod, tf2, and half life. im struggling to convert my hmddsc files though

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.