Editing GFX files

Just Cause 3 Mods Forums Tutorials Editing GFX files

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by choklad choklad 3 years ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Qub1
    Participant

Hey everyone, just a quick tutorial on how to open and edit GFX files.

So, in order to create UI modifications GFX files have to be modified. Gibbed doesn’t provide a tool to open them (yet), but thankfully the format isn’t something proprietary avalanche-made format. It turns out, GFX files are very similar to SWF (aka flash) files.
    To open them, all you need is a tool which is able to modify those types of files. I’ve found that a great tool for that job is JPEXS Free Flash Decompiler, which can be downloaded here: https://www.free-decompiler.com/flash/

Simply fire up the program and open the GFX file (or drag it onto the program). You’ll be able to modify its contents with ease.

If there are any questions, don’t hesitate to ask.

Happy modding!

EDIT: Some shapes seem to appear as colored squares, not sure if that’s the program’s fault or if they are in an unknown file format.

• This topic was modified 3 years ago by  Qub1.

idma98
    Participant

How can you add/remove shapes and stuff to/from the file?

Qub1
    Participant

I’m not sure if you can actually add shapes to the file, but removal is easy. Just right-click a shape in the program and click “Remove with dependencies”. That’ll remove it. If you want to replace a shape with a custom one, right-click it and select “Replace”.

choklad
    choklad
    Participant

This is actually how I made the Fire nitro mod. There just isn’t a good enough reason to modify .gfx files that I can think of. Hopefully someone else can find something useful to do.

• This reply was modified 3 years ago by choklad choklad.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.