Beginners Guide to creating a Rico skin mod

Just Cause 3 Mods Forums Tutorials Beginners Guide to creating a Rico skin mod

This topic contains 21 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Plenny 1 year, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Zenin
    Zenin
    Keymaster

Hi Guys and Gals.

Heres a really simple tutorial I have put together for those looking to get into modding, this is a great place to start. We are going to make a character skin for Rico!

Things you will need:

1. Photoshop, you are smart enough to ‘acquire’ this I trust 😉
    2. The photoshop plugin that allows you to open and save .dds files > https://developer.nvidia.com/nvidia-texture-tools-adobe-photoshop
    3. Neams Tools > //justcause3mods.com/mods/modified-gibbeds-tools/

How to convert Ricos skin:

1. Extract Neams modified Gibbed Tools onto the Desktop (or any short file path)
    2. Navigate to /Steam Library/steamapps/common/Just Cause 3/archives_win64/ – keep this window open.
    3. Using a new window open up the bin folder from the tools folder on your desktop. – keep this window open too so that both windows are visible
    4. From archives_win64 drag the file game2.tab over to the bin folder and drop it on Batch.exe – wait a while.
    5. You will be left with the folder game2_unpack inside this navigate to /models/jc_characters/main_characters/rico/textures/
    6. These are the skin files, but let’s make a copy that’s ready for the dropzone first. On your desktop make a folder called ‘dropzone
    7. Copy the entire models folder and paste it into the dropzone folder you just created, now delete any extra files/folders that’s within the dropzone folder except /rico/textures/ – make sure to keep the path intact!
    8. Now we need a way to open these pesky .hmddsc files. Navigate to /Steam Library/steamapps/common/Just Cause 3/archives_win64/game2_unpack/editor/entities/gameobjects/
    9. Copy main_character.ee to your desktop, you must do this as otherwise its within a really long file path, this causes errors with the unpack.
    10. Drag main_character.ee to the Batch.exe in the bin folder, wait a bit and you will have a new folder main_character_unpack
    11. Copy the files within /main_character_unpack/models/jc_characters/main_characters/rico/textures/ and paste these with your other textures in ‘dropzone’
    12. Now we can begin converting, select the .ddsc files you want to edit, usually mc_rico_body_dif.ddsc and mc_rico_head_dif.ddsc is a good place to begin
    13. Drag these files over to /bin/Gibbed.JustCause3.ConvertTexture.exe – so that you drop it on the exe file. A few seconds later you will see glorious .dds and .xml files appear in the textures folder. Refresh if you don’t see it straight away.
    14. Now right click these .dds files and open with Photoshop. Edit your skin however you want!
    15. Before saving you will have to flatten your image, so theres only one layer, only then will you be able to save it as a .dds again.
    16. You will have to note down the file size before editing of the file, make sure what you save is close enough to the original, you can do this by changing the saving options between DXT1, DXT3 and DXT5 and checking or unchecking generate MIPS.
    17. We need to convert this back into a .hmddsc file, do this by dragging the .xml file related to the .dds you just saved over to the /bin/Gibbed.JustCause3.ConvertTexture.exe file, wait a second and you will get a brand new .hmddsc file, which will replace the existing one.
    18. Now it’s ready to package, once you are happy with your edited files delete or move all files in the texture folder that aren’t .hmddsc
    19. You can then zip up the dropzone folder and upload the mod to the database 🙂
    20. Congratulations on creating your first skin mod!

• This topic was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by Zenin Zenin.
    4 users thanked author for this post.

Joseph Walden
    Participant

You can also use Paint.NET, That nativley opens .dds files

neam
    Participant

+1 for paint.net . It’s support of dds is good. But if you plan to edit normals and *, nvidia texture tools are extremely good. The ultra-high level is the quixel suite, but that’s not free. (but oh god ! that’s pure awesomeness).

There’s also a gimp plugin that support dds, but it may refuse to open some of the dds file or save correctly. (I don’t remember the last update of the dds plugin, but if I recall correctly, that’s some years that it hasn’t been updated).

• This reply was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by  neam.

Joseph Walden
    Participant

Are the files meant to be ddsc, cus you put them as hmddsc. Also, I followed this. But my game doesnt boot

Zenin
    Zenin
    Keymaster

Are the files meant to be ddsc, cus you put them as hmddsc. Also, I followed this. But my game doesnt boot

They are meant to be hmddsc once in the dropzone, and before converting. when converting both the .ddsc and the .hmddsc need to be in the same folder.

Killer Memestar
    Participant

At step 17 Gibbed.JustCause3.exe stopped working with this message in the “command window”:

Unhandled Exception: System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
    at Gibbed.JustCause3.ConvertTexture.Importer.ReadDDSFile(String ddsFile, Int32 elementIndex, TextureFile texture, Byte[][] contents, Boolean haveHMDDSCFile)
    at Gibbed.JustCause3.ConvertTexture.Importer.Import(String xmlFile, String outputBaseName)
    at Gibbed.JustCause3.ConvertTexture.Program.Main(String[] args)

Does anyone know why this is happening?

What is up, DramAalert nation? I am your host Killer Memestar so let's get right into the news!

Zenin
    Zenin
    Keymaster

make sure the path of all files is as short as possible, put on C drive if nessesary. for some reason this error happens when the path of the converted asset is going to be too long.

Killer Memestar
    Participant

thank you dude! 😀

What is up, DramAalert nation? I am your host Killer Memestar so let's get right into the news!

Killer Memestar
    Participant

got the same error as last time even with it in the C drive:

Unhandled Exception: System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
    at Gibbed.JustCause3.ConvertTexture.Importer.ReadDDSFile(String ddsFile, Int32 elementIndex, TextureFile texture, Byte[][] contents, Boolean haveHMDDSCFile)
    at Gibbed.JustCause3.ConvertTexture.Importer.Import(String xmlFile, String outputBaseName)

Killer Memestar
    Participant

Does that mean I just can’t do it with my computer?

Killer Memestar
    Participant

Tried again and got this:

DIMENSIONS ARE DIFFERENTS FROM THE ORIGINAL FILE

Unhandled Exception: System.InvalidOperationException: Unable to load dds file: C:\Users\Ashley\Desktop\mc_rico_body_dif0.dds

Killer Memestar
    Participant

I tried once more and got the original error.

Killer Memestar
    Participant

I didn’t put the dropzone or gibbed folders into C: but I don’t think that is the problem.

Anonymous

Hey i got an issue whenever i convert the file dimensions for the face is 256×256 while in the xml it says it should be 4096×4096 if anyone has a solution it would be amazing if you could please respond

Zenin
    Zenin
    Keymaster

hey im not really sure, maybe try extracting the files again from fresh and doing it that way. remember only the xml should be dropped into ‘converttexture’

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.